(888) 973-0209

We Accept All Collect Calls 24/7

How Do I Get Relief From Registering as a Sex Offender?


Although California law requires people convicted of sex crimes to register as sex offenders, there are ways to seek relief from this requirement. Registering as a sex offender comes with social stigma that will follow you around for the rest of your life. This stigma makes things like finding a home or securing gainful employment extremely difficult for registered sex offenders.

It’s important to understand that once you are registered as a sex offender, your personal information becomes available for public viewing. However, the amount of information that might be available depends on the severity and type of offense that has been committed. While some might have to register their name and home address, others might only have to register their zip code. Other times, offenders are registered with law enforcement, but do not show up in the Megan’s Law database.

What Is a Certificate of Rehabilitation?

To get relief from registering as a sex offender, you must obtain a certificate of rehabilitation. This certificate can be sought seven to ten years after your release from prison or parole. However, you must be a resident of California for at least three years, and must not have committed additional crimes during this period. If your rehabilitation certificate is approved by the trial court, it will be sent to the governor who can either grant you relief without further investigation, or send it to the state Supreme Court for approval. 

The process for seeking relief from registering as a sex offender is a long and complicated one. This is why it’s important to have a lawyer who is familiar with sex offender laws in California. At the Law Offices of Scott R. Spindel, our sex crimes lawyer understands that registering as a sex offender can decimate your reputation, end your career, and follow you around for the rest of your life. With 15+ years of legal experience, attorney Scott R. Spindel is ready to help with your case today.

Contact our Encino sex crimes attorney, or call (888) 973-0209 for your free case evaluation.

Receive Your Free In-Person Consultation

Email us below or call us at (888) 973-0209 to discuss your case confidentially.

  • Please enter your name.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.