Los Angeles Drug Possession Lawyer
Strong Defense for Drug Crime Charges
Drug abuse is taken very seriously in California and throughout the country. As such, district attorneys and law enforcement officials go to great lengths to investigate and prosecute drug crimes. If you are facing a charge of drug possession — whether this is the first time you have been arrested or another accusation — you need advice and protection from an honest, straightforward, and experienced Los Angeles drug possession lawyer. Our legal team at Law Offices of Scott R. Spindel has more than 15 years of experience representing drug crime cases, including possession charges.
To speak about your charges, contact our Los Angeles drug possession attorney today.
Marijuana Possession Charges in California
In 2016, Californians passed the Adult Use of Marijuana Act which decriminalized many of the former marijuana possession laws and allowing adults to possess up to one once of marijuana or cultivate up to six plants for personal use. This is in addition to California's medical marijuana laws, which allow patients to use and possess marijuana with the approval of their physician and and state medical ID card. Medical marijuana patients are protected from criminal court proceedings under Health and Safety Code 11362.84.
Recreational users may still face criminal penalties under HSC 11357-11362.9. This includes:
- An infraction or community service for minors in possession of one ounce or less
- A misdemeanor for possession of more than one once of concentrates
- An infraction for the first offense of possession while on the grounds of a grade school, or a misdemeanor charge for subsequent arrests
- A misdemeanor charge for possession with intent for illegal sale
- A felony enhancement for 3rd time offenders, those with two strikes for other convictions, or those who employ minors to sell
- A felony enhancement for those caught illegally selling to minors
Fighting Drug Charges in Los Angeles
Under California drug possession laws, prosecutors tend to charge everyone indiscriminately and hope innocent people will plead out if they have failed to gather strong evidence that the person is guilty. If you’ve been arrested for the possession of a controlled substance, it is important that you act quickly to hire a Los Angeles drug possession attorney. We can answer your questions about the charges you are facing, as well as the consequences of a conviction, and what we can do to help you.
If you would like to set up a free consultation to discuss your options, call us now at (818) 797-9212.